Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Inc #3

In the section we read, I really liked chapter eleven, called "Eating made Simple," by Marion Nestle. I found this chapter to be very informational and also intriguing. I liked the way in which Marion broke up the chapter into sections that included nutrition challenges, calories, organics, and also discussed supermarkets, dairy, and meat. He then followed with fish relating to heart disease and sodas and obesity. I found these sections to be very informative. I felt that Marion did a good job of presenting this information in a way that everyone could understand and relate to. The fact that obesity and the linkage to soda is such an issue here in the the US made this section very important to include. He also used facts and statistics to make the information he was presenting credible and also helped as sort of a shock factor. I felt as though Marion was talking to America as a whole, but on a personal level, making you reevaluate your own lifestyle and food choices. I found it very disturbing in the section "A meaty debate" when Marion said that the smallest McDonald's cheeseburger contained 6 grams of saturated fat and a Hardee's Monster Thickbuger contained forty-five. I was very disgusted by this and thought that this is exactly why Americans are overweight. This was one of the shock factors that I thought Marion used in order to capture the readers interests. After reading this chapter, I really want to reevaluate what I'm eating and continue to eat mostly organic, not just for the health benefits, but also for the environmental impacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment